2D Traditional Animation Workshop Syllabus:
Essentially we’re tackling 4 assignments: Bouncing Ball, Character Design, Walk cycle, and Pantomime. But it's very important that we will allow students, who have a bit of 2D experience, to “spice up” the assignments. For example, the bouncing ball: If you have no 2D experience, then we will have you do JUST the bouncing ball assignment. If you have SOME 2D experience, you can add a tail and maybe ears, to practice drag and overlap. And if you have a GOOD amount of 2D experience, we’ll let you add legs and a face to the ball. That way we can cater to different skills sets within the class.
Weeks 1 - 2
- Bouncing Ball
Weeks 3 - 4
- Character Design
Weeks 5 - 8
- Walk Cycle
Weeks 9 - 12
Week 01: Introduction. 2D software demonstration. 1st Assignment: Bouncing ball. Review principles of animation.
Week 02: 1st Assignment Critique: Bouncing Ball. Character Design lecture.
Week 03: 2nd Assignment Critique: Character Design.
Week 04: 2nd Assignment Critique: Character Design Finals.
Week 05: Walk Cycle and 3rd Assignment Demo/Lecture. Review fundamentals of walk cycles.
Week 06: 3rd Assignment Critique: Walk Cycle Blocking
Week 07: 3rd Assignment Critique: Walk Cycle Breakdowns
Week 08: 3rd Assignment Critique: Walk Cycle Finals. Pantomime Demo/Lecture. Review fundamentals of pantomime.
Week 09: 4th Assignment Critique: Pantomime.
Week 10: 4th Assignment Critique: Pantomime Breakdowns.
Week 11: 4th Assignment Critique: Pantomime Breakdowns.
Week 12: 4th Assignment Critique: Pantomime Finals.
Assignments difficulty levels:
- BEGINNER LEVEL: simple bouncing ball
- INTERMEDIATE LEVEL: bouncing ball with tail & ears or hat
- ADVANCED LEVEL: bouncing ball with legs and a face.
- BEGINNER LEVEL: simple character, no face, no clothes
- INTERMEDIATE LEVEL: simple character, no face, can have some clothing and more defined hands & feet
- ADVANCED LEVEL: character with face and clothing
- BEGINNER LEVEL: simple vanilla walk, little personality
- INTERMEDIATE LEVEL: simple personality walk
- ADVANCED LEVEL: walk with lots of personality
- BEGINNER LEVEL: 40 frame simple action
- INTERMEDIATE LEVEL: 70 frame simple action
- ADVANCED LEVEL: 120 frame simple action | could be a 2D pass of a 3D shot you will animate